The Mind of a Third Year Student

05:51:00

I know there are (hopefully) many people in the same position as I at this moment in time. I have just over three months of university left. Obviously this is quite a daunting time for everyone. Here is another guide (I've decided I really love writing these) from me to you to help get you through your third year.

WHAT THE HELL AM I DOING WITH MY LIFE? 

Yes it's great to start applying for jobs, graduate schemes, PGCE's and Masters Degrees. But it's completely a-ok NOT to have a plan. I don't have a plan at all, I'm just gonna go with the flow, I'm a live-for-the-moment type person. Sometimes I think it's better not to have a plan because that way you could find more opportunities. You're ok, you've got this.

THAT'S IT. I'M SCREWED.

Ok, so this is the year you all wish you'd have tried harder the previous year... yeah we're all thinking it. But it's too late for that now, you may have left it a little late, but just work your arse off. Remember your grades don't define who you are, this sounds crazy as everyone wants to pass with a first/2:1. But the world isn't going to end if you graduate with anything less. You should feel proud regardless that you made it that far. 

TURN THIS WINE INTO WATER

You'll find yourself going out less - voluntarily. You'll always be in denial. Say you'll never be like this, yet here you are, it's student night and all you want to do is curl up on the sofa and binge watch awful British telly.. Maybe it's time to pass the torch for the kids. Also, think about all that extra work you'll be able to do without staying up crazy hours.

THE END IS NIGH

I don't know if this is just me, but I have awful trouble in accepting when things have to end. Especially if I know they're going to end. I go completely the wrong way about things. I did exactly the same when I left college. I found myself distancing myself from everyone, spending more time alone.. DON'T DO THIS. No-one else will understand what you're doing and you'll end up looking like a dick. 

I AM SO FED UP

Ah, the experience that you are well and truly done. Just done. Sod this lecture. Sod the module. Sod the freakin' dissertation. Sod these people. Sod this university. This normally hits straight after Christmas. You cannot cope anymore. Please someone just hurry up and end this misery.

WAIT! WE HAVE HOW LONG LEFT?

The realisation that the clock is ticking, time is running out. It's nearly February and you've still not started on your dissertation. How are you going to do it? Can you just make time? The instant regret in getting hooked to that series on Netflix. The bellows of Cher's "IF I COULD TURN BACK TIME" play over and over in your head for several days. Don't worry, if you can bash out a 2000 word assignment in under 24 hours then you can do a dissertation - of good quality - in 3 months. All those nights staying up all night writing assignments for the day before has trained you for this moment. I believe in you.

WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE?

Finally, the panic. Moving out of the house you've shared with the people who have got you through every waking second of the last three years, ending. Not knowing where you're going next, do you go for the first job that will take you or do you stick it out? When is the next time you're ever going to see these people again? Seriously, 97% of my entire list of friends are the ones I made at uni. - This one worries me the most... Do I really have to move back home? With my family? I can't cope with them. Do I even have any friends left at home? 

It's going to be a long and winding road, my friends, which hopefully will straighten out.
Stay strong, we're all in this together.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Like us on Facebook

Subscribe